My five month old is telling me it’s time to jot down his birth story.  I think Scarlett was around seven weeks old when I got around to writing hers and I thought that was bad. HA. After this I’m calling it quits on playing catch up so I can stop feeling overwhelmed and start staying on top of the happening now things.  2017 will just have to remain the year-of-picture-only-memories-stuck-on-the-computer-because-mom-never-got-it-together-and-would-still-be-posting-about-last-christmas-which-was-over-a-year-ago.  Here’s to a new start and more motivation to keep things current!  My babies are a growin’ and time ain’t a stoppin’ and I want to be able to remember it ALL.

Meet Ellis Wayne Anderson.

Born August 4, 2017 at 8:55 AM

| 6 lbs 14 oz | 18.5 inches |

(although I will add that we believe his length was measured a little sloppily – at his two week check he measured like 20.5 inches, so he’s either the world’s fastest growing baby, or someone was being a little hasty in their measuring duties)


So the story.  My due date with baby boy was August 19th, so do the math and you got that right, he came early.  All on his own too (insert hands in air emoji).  After going a week over with his big sis and being induced, it was definitely an unexpected and pleasant surprise!  At my 37 week appointment just a couple days prior to all this going down, I was still only like 1, maybe 1.5cm dilated and 80ish% effaced.  (That’s almost exactly where I stayed with Scarlett for weeks so it really didn’t mean anything to me.)  I had opted to schedule an induction for the 14th of August because Austin had some work travel scheduled and we {I} wanted to have a little more time with him around to adjust.  Dr. Watabe was going to be out of town until the 12th and be back to work on the 14th so that was THE DAY.  I left that appointment with both he and I feeling confident that the baby most likely wouldn’t come before then.  Wrong-o.

The day after that appointment (the 3rd) just started like a regular ol’ day.  My mom was in town (I believe because Mauri was at EFY that week…I could be off), and had gone up to Bountiful that day to attend my cousin Eli’s wedding.  She texted me around 10:30 that night letting me know she was on her way back to our house.  Scarlett was in bed, Austin and I had just been hanging out, watching TV or something and decided to head up and get ready for bed.  Note, I was experiencing ZERO contractions at this point.  Just a nice, normal evening.  I went upstairs, brushed my teeth, went to the bathroom, and climbed into bed.  Right when I laid down, I felt the tiniest little gush and was like, “What the? Did I just pee a little?” I had just gone to the bathroom so I thought it was weird, but still plausible for my 37 week + 5 day pregnant self haha.  The thought crossed my mind that it could potentially be my water because I had heard that it doesn’t necessarily always burst like you imagine when you think of water breaking, but I highly doubted it because I hadn’t been having contractions or anything that day.  I went to the bathroom again, still couldn’t really tell if anything was “leaking” so I decided I would just walk around the room for a few minutes to see if it kept happening.  I figured if it did, then we would maybe go stop in at the hospital so they could check if it was amniotic fluid or not.  I really wasn’t convinced.

At this point it was about 11pm. I started googling things about water breaking as I walked around the room just to see if it was even possible, and then, a few minutes later, it happened.  Full on water breakage.  Luckily I had pajama pants on and was close to the bathroom so it was contained haha.  Save the carpet!  I think I went into a little bit of a shock because it was SO unexpected.  All I could think about was how our room, which I intended to get all clean and organized over the next week, was a disaster, how the new bed frame we had ordered still hadn’t been delivered so we still were just sleeping on our mattress on the floor, and about how I didn’t have anything packed for the hospital.  And I was riding these crazy waves of excitement and nerves because this baby was COMING.  And the water just. kept. flowing. and I didn’t know what to do with my leaking self haha.  My mom had just gotten back to our house but was downstairs so I called her to tell her what was happening.  Seriously such a blessing that she was in town and staying at my house!  Timing couldn’t have been better in that regard.  She had my dad on the other line and broke the news to him, then unbeknownst to us he hopped on in his car and drove all night to get to Utah.  (Kody also had a secret proposal planned for Shilo that coming weekend so it gave my pops an extra reason to join in on all the fun.)

Since I wasn’t having contractions I wasn’t too stressed about getting out the door super quick.  We called the hospital to see what they advised and they suggested that we come in so they could start monitoring the baby and everything.  I was still in some state of shock, and wandering around because I didn’t know what to do with myself.  Austin was trying to help get things together but I just felt so unprepared that I could not focus for the life of me.  He told me that I was “frantically doing nothing” hahaha.  Sounds about right.  I hopped in the shower to clean up and to give the water leakage a chance to ease up so I could get around without soaking through everything in two minutes.  Then afterwards as I was putting myself together a little bit, Austin walked me through one thing at a time so we could get a bag packed in a semi efficient manner.  Thankful for his level head!

Once we finally got everything together we were out the door!  It was SO nice that we didn’t have to get Scarlett up or anything, just left her snoozing away in her bed, undisturbed by everything going on.  I remember feeling a little sad that I didn’t have the chance to relish the last night (and really the last week I thought I still had) with her before adding another to the mix.  It wasn’t going to be our little Scarlett/mama duo anymore that we both were so accustomed to!  And it just felt kind of weird that I didn’t get to acknowledge those “last” moments with her like I anticipated I would be able to.  But those feelings were fleeting knowing that we were about to meet our baby boy and add another bunch-o-love to our family.  And I can now say five months later, that neither me or Scarlett (or dad) could imagine our lives without “brudder”/”bubba”/”bubs”/”Ewwis”/”buddy”/”baby boy”/”bud”.  We’re all kind of obsessed.

^Just hours before it all went down.  Oh if we only knew.

We pulled into the hospital at 1:11am on the 4th.  (I took a picture so we could remember exactly. Must have known it would take me months to write this all down or something.)  Went inside, they checked to make sure that my water did indeed break, and then we were admitted and got all settled in.  I’m now very grateful to the texts I sent my mom throughout the night to help give me a little timeline of events.  I would have no recollection otherwise! By 2:00am I was all hooked up and only 2cm dilated.  We decided to give it a couple hours to see if things would progress on their own before getting any pitocin going.  Contractions did start to pick up a bit and I got an epidural right around 3:45am.  At that point I was about 4cm dilated and contractions were two minutes apart so we just let them keep doing their thing.  From there I tried to sleep, unsuccessfully, but at least I was comfortable haha.  I’m telling ya, these overnight labors do not start the newborn-lack-of-sleep stage off on the right foot.  I had high hopes that he would be a daytime baby…not the case.  I’ll take it for the early arrival though!

A few hours later around 7:50am, I was 6.5cm so we officially made it pitocin free!  From there I figured that if he was anything like Scarlett, I would go from a 7 to a 10 in no time.  And literally like 30 minutes later at 8:32am, I was at a 10!  Probably had been for a good 15 minutes already too because I’m always nervous to call the nurse in to come check until I’m positive haha.  They called the doctor, started setting up for the delivery, and it was go time.  Dr. Watabe was out of town so Dr. Thomas did the delivering.  I ended up really liking him too so it was a good experience!  Much more pleasant than my experience with Scarlett’s doctor.  He came into the room probably around 8:40, a little winded from running up the stairs (he was on call and the nurse told him to come QUICK haha) and the pushing began!  15 minutes and probably 8ish pushes later, our little love was born.

More things I want to remember on my mama’s blog here and here.